Individuals with sensory impairments, such as vision or hearing loss, may face challenges in their homes. As Qspec has grown over our 10+ year existence, we have developed several home modification solutions for sensory-impaired clients. Here are some home modifications that can help address these challenges:
- Lighting: Providing adequate lighting throughout the home is crucial for individuals with vision impairments. This can be achieved through adjustable or dimmable lighting, and the installation of light in key areas such as the kitchen, bathroom, and stairways. This will help the individual to safely navigate their home and avoid potential hazards.
- Audio alerts: Audio alerts, such as doorbells or smoke detectors with strobe lights, can help individuals with hearing impairments know when someone is at the door or when there is an emergency. This can be achieved by installing devices that emit an audible sound or a flashing light when triggered. Vibration Pad that is inserted under pillow or mattress for smoke alarms
- Tactile Markings: Installing raised markings or Braille on light switches, doorknobs, and other items can help individuals with vision impairments locate and identify them
- High-vis Tape: High-vis tape is a simple yet highly effective modification that provides vision-impaired clients with visual cues on the floor, stairs, and ramps. The addition of high-vis tape can mean the difference between safe access in and around their home and trips and falls.
- Assistive technology: Incorporating technology such as voice-activated devices can greatly improve the experience of individuals with sensory impairments in their homes. Voice and phone activation can be linked to automatic doors, lighting, TV’s and much more
By making these modifications, individuals with sensory impairments will be able to live more independently, safely, and comfortably in their homes.